Monday, June 18, 2007

Punter bats for a noble cause


Ricky Ponting's touch may not exactly turn trash into gold but his signature does dramatically enhance the price value of otherwise mundane things.

New Delhi can testify to that for a bat signed by the Aussie skipper fetched Rs 1,65,000 in an impromptu auction here last week.

The entire sum would go to ING Vysya Foundation which has launched 'Run Ricky Run' campaign to educate underpreviledged children in India.

Under the scheme, for every ODI run that the prolific scorermakes, one kid would be sent to school. Ponting plays his next ODI on September 29 against India in Bangalore and the scheme would continue to one year thence.

''I think it's an honour to be associated with such a cause,'' Ponting said.

''It's upto me to score plenty of runs and help send thousands of children to school,'' he said and quipped, ''There would be added pressure on me everytime I come to bat next.''

Ponting, however sought to play down parallels drawn with his predecessor Steve Waugh, who's associated with 'Udayan' that helps rehabilitate children affected by leprosy.

''No, I am not trying to emulate Steve. I'd come to India so many times before and I really wanted to do something. Then ING Vysya proposed this and I gave my nod,'' he said.

No comments: