Sunday, June 17, 2007

Pietersen feels the heat


By Kowalski

The list of those getting sick and tired of playing cricket matches after cricket matches just keeps getting longer. And the latest to send out an SOS against an overdose of the game is English swashbuckler Kevin Pietersen.

The 26-year-old says the amount of international cricket is just unacceptable to him. He goes on to add that he hates spending months away from his family on overseas tours and wants more time at home after getting married to his model girlfriend Jessica Taylor this December.

"I don't like spending time away from my family, I don't like it at all, especially since I met Jessica. All these future tours that just get chucked in here and there, they don't make me happy. There are so many exciting things to look forward to in life other than cricket and I've changed a heck of a lot both as a person and a player," he said.

Now, this is one of those rare occasions I would agree with Pietersen. I hate to admit it but the fellow makes sense. I mean those money and power hungry ICC bosses, not to mention, the equally currency-obsessed home boards don't seem to give a damn to what these poor cricketers go through while playing one overseas tour after another.

Our very own Team India skipper Rahul Dravid has been quite vocal in expressing his displeasure over too much cricket.

"…schedules are crammed, over-crammed if you ask me. I don't know how we are going to fit everything in," the Indian captain had said after the drawn first Test against Bangladesh in Chittagong.


But is anybody listening? Last heard the ECB was yet to react on Pietersen's grievances and Dravid's complaints had been, as usual, debunked by the BCCI.

Image: kevinpietersen.com

No comments: